Monday, October 16, 2017

What Do I Read Next?

Are you overwhelmed by the sheer amount of reading subjects? I finish a good novel and sometimes I honestly think it would be easier to read it a second time rather than choose a new one. How much time do you commit to a book before you decide if you can finish it? I have my favorite authors, but I have read all of their books and now I need a suggestion - but my wife's taste is very different from mine.
Actually she once bought the book The Moonstone and she couldn't get around to reading it so she told me it was a classic mystery and that I might like it. I read it but it never really became a book i would consider a favorite. To be quite honest, the only book we have ever both read and both enjoyed was The Scarlet Pimpernel. I'm just discovering that now as I tell you; she never likes to read historical fiction or classic novels. I don't read romance novels.
So where do we find our next book? Enter the age of computers and the huge advantage o previewing a book before committing to it. Then there was the reading apps and the downloadable e-books, and now in this glorious age we have the ability to sit on a train going to work and I can go to a website to read fiction for free online. No download, no app, no problem if I don't have my tablet or laptop with me. Literature has never been so accessible, and I really hope that more people discover this new technology rather than simply using their phones to watch movies and play games where you have to match three things together to win a prize. Surely culture has evolved to a point where we could use our time to broaden our horizons.
So I have spent countless hours reading classic novels and enjoying the literary art through the masters of old. But a new thought has been recently in my mind, why not test some new writers? Where can I find authentic fiction online written by amateurs who have a story to tell? I don't want to read a blog, I want to read an actual novel, some free fiction posted by someone who wants to tell their story. Ficfun is the place. Hundreds of writers sharing their work. And I can access it on my phone while waiting for the doctor.
This has actually become a library for me, one I can look through on my daily commute. I don't have time to walk through the library every day but I can find a new book to read and maybe the first 10 chapters are all that is available right now. That's okay, next week I'll come back and read some more chapters - it's like having access to the author's manuscripts. I can see the process, it's very real. As a writer myself I even leave comments for the author, these are new writers and some advice may be good for them. I'm never mean, writing is hard work and they need to have the courage to keep going; in some cases I need them to keep going so I can continue reading their book. Like an itch I gotta scratch.
In a world with so many options to choose from, finding something you want to read can be a challenge. Ask a friend, ask your spouse, go to the library, or find a free novel reading website online. Keep reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Modern Warehouse Management System Based on RFID Technology

The RFID warehouse management system is a platform based on RFID identification technology to identify, track and manage cargo informatio...