Thursday, March 8, 2018

Do you like classic novels

Do you like classic novels?  If you do not like classics, what other novel books do you like to read?  Perhaps you like to read mystery fiction, crime fiction or romantic fiction.  How many classics are in your library? I have met people who can quote famous lines from classic novels, can tell you the personalities of the main characters and how the plot twists and turns. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people.
I have to be honest that I do not seem to be able to remember the ending of any book that I have read. Some people (like my husband) seem to have a photographic memory and can recall every book and movie they have ever read or watched. I am not that gifted.
One story I do like though is a classical story that is popular in Canada, namely, Anne of Green Gables. This fiction novel was written in 1908 by the Canadian author Lucy Maud Montgomery. It is a story of a young orphan girl that was adopted by an elderly brother and sister living in Prince Edward Island, located in the Maritime Provinces of Canada. Anne is a redheaded, freckle-faced girl who loves to read and uses her imagination to see the best in any situation. She uses big, descriptive words and her spontaneous character makes me laugh. The story follows her life from adoption to adulthood.
Many movies and TV series have been produced about Anne. Some are solely based on the novel; others are loosely based on it. For someone like myself, I am quite happy reading or watching any version of the story whereas others find it extremely frustrating if the production does not adhere to the book. My “movie amnesia” keeps me very content with watching whatever version friends want to watch.
Another classic that I read a number of years ago was A Tale of Two Cities. The author is Charles Dickens. It is a historical novel (though you could also say that it is romance fiction or suspense fiction) set in London and Paris before and during the French Revolution. When I began to read this novel, I almost did not make it past the first three pages!  The description of a carriage being pulled through mud almost made me quit!  The book was quite thick and though it is a historical classic, I couldn’t bear to read something so slow and painful.
However, much to my surprise, once I got past the first few pages and my imagination began to work, I found myself unable to put it down. The ending escapes me but I know that I enjoyed it much more than I thought I ever would.
This has taught me that a classic is very much a classic no matter how it is presented. Whether it is by novel only or if it is turned into a movie or TV series, a classic stands the test of time.  By reading famous novels or by watching highly acclaimed productions, you are taken to a different point in time and can learn about the customs and thinking of people of that era. And you become a more rounded out individual that can speak intelligently about well-known literature.
No matter what your reading preference, I would encourage you to read a classic novel, either on-line or paperback. You will enjoy it as many others have done for years before you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Modern Warehouse Management System Based on RFID Technology

The RFID warehouse management system is a platform based on RFID identification technology to identify, track and manage cargo informatio...